Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

Guest Joe Gagne

I've picked this up again. The whole thing is just so strange - it's just short bios of dead/tragic wrestlers and how it makes Scott Keith feel. I look at a 13 page bio of Bret Hart's career and wonder "Why bother?" You learn literally nothing new if you've been on the 'net for a while (not counting all the mistakes - within one page he lists two 2/3 fall matches (Rumble 89 and Summerslam 90) as only lasting 2 falls, when neither did).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rspwfaq.com/2008/11/the-smark-2...ctober-20-1997/

Just want to say thanks to everyone who’s bought the new book thus far, as it’s currently sitting in the top 10 wrestling books on Amazon and has been getting great feedback. I really think it’s my best one so far, although I do want to address one point that a few people have e-mailed about after reading it. In the book, I say that I can separate the man from the performer and continue to enjoy his matches, while on the blog a few days back I said pretty much the opposite. Well, the short answer is that the book was written more than a year ago, when I thought I could cope and move past it. As it turned out, I couldn’t, and I still can’t watch his matches.

Well, bully for him.

Guest LShunter

http://www.rspwfaq.com/2008/11/the-smark-2...ctober-20-1997/

Just want to say thanks to everyone who’s bought the new book thus far, as it’s currently sitting in the top 10 wrestling books on Amazon and has been getting great feedback. I really think it’s my best one so far, although I do want to address one point that a few people have e-mailed about after reading it. In the book, I say that I can separate the man from the performer and continue to enjoy his matches, while on the blog a few days back I said pretty much the opposite. Well, the short answer is that the book was written more than a year ago, when I thought I could cope and move past it. As it turned out, I couldn’t, and I still can’t watch his matches.

Well, bully for him.

It must be nice to be so righteous...

I don't get that one- how does that make him look stupid?

The buried thing, not his Benoit quote.

At the risk of rehashing the entire Montreal debate again, Scooter's still an unabashed Hitman fanboy and still refuses to even consider the possibility that maybe Bret wasn't completely blameless in the whole affair.

Also him pointing to everything as proof of a burial on RAW makes him seem clueless to the fact that Bret was a heel (maybe not to him but to the rest of the world - Canada) and DX was the new face group catching fire. If the WWF would have booked the heel to get the better of the up and coming face group, Keith would have bitched about that had it involved different participants.

Another Scooter gem is in his recaps of the October 1997 Raws from WWE 24/7, he's now pointing out every instance of how Bret was being "buried" leading up to You Know What.

I mean, it's not as if Vince was in the midst of trying to wiggle out of the 20 year contract he agreed on or anything. Oh yeah, he totally was.

And this. You seem to be arguing that the fact that Vince was trying to get out of the contract somehow refutes the claim that Hart was being buried, when in fact it supports it. I don't know exactly what he wrote, but if it looks like they were trying to make Bret look bad, they probably were. He was the one on his way out. Nothing wrong with that. That's what you do when one of your stars is leaving for the competition, you bury them. Especially when Bret's reluctant to leave. You want to make the decision easy for him.

From an old RSPW post:

Another reason why Goldust (Dustin Runnels) was released from the WWF, most likely now heading to

WCW because his father now has a lot more booking power, besides him having a bad back and divorcing

Terri Runnels (who they felt was more marketable), was because of a crazy idea that he came up with.

Meltzer says Runnels suggested to Vince McMahon that he wanted an operation to have breast implants

put in his chest, and even have the operation filmed for television, so he could take the Goldust

character to a new level. McMahon wasn't willing to go that far and Runnels felt that the WWF

weren't giving him a chance to reach his potential, which led to his exit.

• 2 weeks later...

Another negative review at 411.

Replying to a comment in his blog linking the 411 reviews:

Meh, I never got the bad blood from the 411 guys after I left for InsidePulse. Both reviews came off a tad pretentious to me but then we’re just getting into reviewing reviews and that’s silly. Love it, hate it, whatever, the money’s the same either way.

Keep in mind that he was openly pushing for wrestling writers to obtain review copies so he probably gets no money in these cases. I seriously doubt any of the negative reviewers would have paid for it. I got so fed up with that bullshit response that I replied with some venom and a link to my pre-411 review. I wonder where that will go...

Yeah, his response is "Eh, my opinion hasn't really changed so I saw no need to provide any new content."

That and a little of "that other book is out of print so I see nothing wrong with basically selling it again with a different cover".

My wife reads romance novels and they literally will release the same books every 5 years with different covers to the point where she checks the copyright date on "new" books to make sure they aren't reprints. Scooter's take on publishing seems very similar.

How are you buddy?

Long time reader of your colums. Really like the setup you have now.

I was reading through some old posts and I saw you mention that Shawn Michaels was supposed to do the JOB to The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 2000 but HHH had to take his place because Shawn was to messed up to perform. I seemed to have missed this at the time time and was wondering if you could elaborate more on the topic as I thought Shawn had no thoughts of performing between basically Wrestlemania 14 and Summerslam 2002.

It was Wrestlemania X-7, actually, and Shawn wasn’t going to wrestle, he was going to interfere and give HHH the win over Undertaker. Then he showed up in no condition to do much of anything and the result was changed to punish HHH, who had basically gone to Vince and vouched for Shawn’s sobriety.

Is that true? I always thought HBK would cost HHH the match at X-7 leading to a feud.

From the WOL episodes I've listened to from that period, it seems HBK was supposed to have Austin's spot in that tag match at Backlash, teaming with HHH vs Taker & Kane. Where that would leave the new champion, Austin, I don't know. But he was supposed to come back with HHH and he was going to wrestle, but obviously didn't. I think. I swear Dave said that. I don't know. I hope it's in an old F4W.

EDIT: Wait, no. Keith was wrong. It was supposed to be HHH-Shawn for Backlash.