"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

• Please log in to reply
1009 replies to this topic

#1001 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1871 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:01 AM

He's all the worst traits of the Lapsed Fan in written form.

Very insulting to TLF.

#1002 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Still true though. Their viewpoints on a lot of things line up.

TLF have an endearing quality, thanks to their chemistry and dark sense of humor. But they basically do all the same stuff Keith does. Their hot takes were all baked sometime in the early 2000s and feel beyond outdated. They also make up shit as they go along.

And - when they're called out on anything - they either ignore it or sweep it aside by pretending that they knew all along, except they were just too busy or too rushed to get the facts right. And the people (their own listeners!) who point out their errors are just big ole wrestling nerds who live in a basement.

Except they're the ones going on & on for endless hours about playing with their wrestling toys at 16 years old and shit. Way cool, bruh.

I mean, I know you listen to their stuff. You've heard it.

Maybe they can even tell everyone all about how Luke Harper had that really hot run in ROH as the Necro Butcher again.

#1003 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1672 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

I first got online full time in 2002, I read one of Keith's reviews on Kayfabe Memories. I thought he was great the first two reviews. Then I was quickly sick of him. 

The way he was gloating that WCW and ECW were going under was so stupid. 

#1004 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1871 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:22 PM

They definitely did read him back in the day (as did virtually every wrestling fan who was engaged and online during his heyday) and that has been acknowledged at times during the show. It leads to them having some of the standard Meltzer type takes that are also common in podcasts (Kurt Angle being an all-time worker, as an example). I’m not aware of any of the callout stuff as I’m not on Twitter and I also tend to FF through the listener feedback portions of their shows. Nor do I expect them to have great knowledge of the indies since they are essentially just WWF fans who had periods when they were into WCW (though Jack was, I think, watching practically everything back in the MNW era). The action figure shit is obviously done in a self-deprecating way.

Anyhow, their long-form shows on topics like Montreal are top shelf. The Mania and Starrcade series with all the Meltzer interviews were also great, IMO. Certainly not for everyone and I get that.

#1005 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

I enjoyed their Mania series well enough.

I'm not on twitter either. Couldn't be further removed from it if I tried.

And I don't think anyone "expects" them to know about the independents or even wrestling history really. They clearly don't. But they're the ones trying to bullshit their way through it by making things up - and then behaving like children once they're found out. That's all I'm saying really. It's a trait they certainly share with Scott Keith.

#1006 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1871 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

I’ve never picked up on that trait. To each their own, though.

#1007 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

I first starting following wrestling online in 2000 and Scott Keith was my Oracle. However, I now live in 2018. Scott Keith still lives in 2000. 

#1008 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44074 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:42 PM

He used to always use the phrase "Bob.con" as a figure of speech, and I still have no clue what it means.

#1009 Moonsault Marvin

Moonsault Marvin
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

It used to be a reference to Bob Ryder.

#1010 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9577 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

Wasn't that a jdw-ism referring to Bob Ryder and 1wrestling.com? He certainly had more of a personal issue with Ryder than Keith did, at least as I recall. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users