#76. Vader Vs. Sting

Starcade (12/28/92)

#63. Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes Vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas

Clash of the Champions XXI (11/18/92)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might stop at 50 until Ray begins the proper countdown!

Posted Image Posted Image

#60. Rey Misterio Jr. & Juventud Guerrera Vs. Psicosis & La Parka

Nitro (12/15/97)

A through-away Nitro match but a really fun one. They try to cram in as many highspots as they can before it's commercial time or N.W.O. Vincent needs to have a 10 min. interview. La Parka IS the chairman of the board.

#59. Paul Orndorff Vs. Cactus Jack

Superbrawl (Streetfight - 2/21/93)

Cactus Jack makes his return as a fan favorite and his first stop if beating the crap out of Paul Orndorff. It's an anything goes, Falls count anywhere match that goes all over the place.

#58. Diamond Dallas Page Vs. Chris Benoit Vs. Raven

Uncensored (3/15/98)

DDP defends his U.S. title, but this time he has to defeat two tough opponents. And it's Raven rules! ECW! ECW! ECW!

#57. Ric Flair & Barry Windham Vs. The Midnight Express

Clash of the Champions IV (12/7/88)

In a Dream match World champ Flair and U.S. champ Windham team up to take on the Midnight Express. And don't forget about Cornette and J.J. on the outside.

#56. Ricky Steamboat Vs. Steve Austin

Bash at the Beach (7/17/94)

Austin defends the U.S. title against long time foe Steamboat. These two were hit and miss but this was a really great match. Austin was coming into his own right about this time.

What do you mean by "these two were hit and miss?" regarding Steamboat and Austin?

Maybe I shouldn't have said hit and miss. I heard so much about how great the Steamboat/Austin series was that when I saw some of their one on one matches I thought, "well they're good I guess but not as great as it had been pimped to me".

Turns out I had seen their early 1992 stuff. I think they're 1994 matches are much better, I guess cause Austin was more experienced as being a jerk for Steamboat and playing the crowd.

Sorry ohtani's jacket! But seriously, why should you care about some guy's top 100 when he would put that match so low? :P

#55. Ric Flair Vs. Steven Regal

Marquis of Queensbury Cup Series (May 1 - 29th 1994)

This was a best of 5 round series. Each round is 5 minutes and like a serial novel, would take place once a week on TV. If a round goes to the time limit a panel of judges would decide the winner. Since this is under gentlemen rules no punching or biting or chairshots to the groin, just technical wrestling. Lord Steven Regal is a technical master and Sir William Dundee has him ready. But old man Flair keeps up with him and has some tricks up his sleeve. This one's for the Queen!

#54. Ricky Steamboat & Sting Vs. Steve Austin & Rick Rude

Clash of the Champions XVIII (1/21/92)

More of a really fun than great match, it's the Dangerous Alliance taking on WCW's saviors. It's the big two singles wrestlers from each side in the main event. Sting & Steamboat show they can pull some sneaky tricks as much as Paul E. can.

#53. Vader Vs. Dustin Rhodes

Clash of the Champions XXIX (11/16/94)

Dustin is no match for the destructive force known as Vader, but somehow he not only hangs with the big guy but may have a chance to win! The crowd is going ballistic hoping Goldust can pull off the victory.

#52. Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes Vs. Steve Austin & Larry Zbyszko

Superbrawl (2/29/92)

Hmmmm. I should really have this alot higher. The Dangerous Alliance is consolidating it's power over WCW. Windham's looking for payback for his demolished hand and what starts as a regular tag becomes a heated brawl and a foreshadow for whats to come in 92.

#51. Ricky Steamboat Vs. Steve Austin

Clash of the Champions XXVIII (8/28/94)

Another great match from these two, even better that the Bash. Austin's still got the U.S. title, mainly cause he keeps cheating to retain. But this time the rules are if Austin's DQ'ed, Steamboat get the belt! So this time it's one-on-one with no excuses.

Only 2 of the matches so far are even on my list: Horsemen/Midnights and Regal/Finlay. I think this countdown is going to be very interesting.

I hated the 89 Wargames. In fact the only 2 wargames matches I liked were 92 and 94. 1993 was ok but the finish hurt it.

None of the Savage/DDP matches held up for me. It was a good feud with some OK brawls but the matches I didn't think were very good.

To Dylan -- I remember really liking that Dean vs Rey match though I was very busy as of late and couldn't rewatch it for the poll. I remember really being engrossed by Dean's matwork at the time and I thought there was a lot of tension on seeing what Rey could do. I think and correct me if I'm wrong Rey gets a tease of offense at the beginning before being grounded thus making the tension of seeing what this new star can do even greater. And when he does fly, it hits home hard and is very meaningful. I found most of their series really engrossing. I like how Dean operates in the ring and his interaction with Rey so as a result several Dean matches made my list. Dean my Rey from the outside Nitro, Havoc and the Great American Bash all made it. Other Malenko matches also made my list.

Floyd this is pretty cool. You'll have to post your list on smarkschoice too after the poll is over.

I'm not criticising the list, I just think it's strange. Our thinking was pretty similar on 1930s cinema, but miles apart on WCW. Your #52 was my #2.

You are going to hate my list, because I have that tag even lower than Floyd does. I like it a great deal, but to me it suffers a bit as a match that doesn't do anything to "stand out" of the pack. I probably should have had it higher than I did but I knew others would have it a lot higher than me, and again it wasn't a match that distinguished itself the way some of the other top stuff did.

To Dylan -- I remember really liking that Dean vs Rey match though I was very busy as of late and couldn't rewatch it for the poll. I remember really being engrossed by Dean's matwork at the time and I thought there was a lot of tension on seeing what Rey could do. I think and correct me if I'm wrong Rey gets a tease of offense at the beginning before being grounded thus making the tension of seeing what this new star can do even greater. And when he does fly, it hits home hard and is very meaningful. I found most of their series really engrossing. I like how Dean operates in the ring and his interaction with Rey so as a result several Dean matches made my list. Dean my Rey from the outside Nitro, Havoc and the Great American Bash all made it. Other Malenko matches also made my list.

Floyd this is pretty cool. You'll have to post your list on smarkschoice too after the poll is over.

Rey really doesn't get any flashes early and that is one of my biggest complaints with the match.

I'm not criticising the list, I just think it's strange. Our thinking was pretty similar on 1930s cinema, but miles apart on WCW. Your #52 was my #2.

You are going to hate my list, because I have that tag even lower than Floyd does. I like it a great deal, but to me it suffers a bit as a match that doesn't do anything to "stand out" of the pack. I probably should have had it higher than I did but I knew others would have it a lot higher than me, and again it wasn't a match that distinguished itself the way some of the other top stuff did.

I liked the match but it sputters a little in the 2nd half. Dustin's FIP section was weaker than Windham's, in part because I didn't like Dustin's selling as much, but also because Austin in control wasn't particularly interesting. The finish, while nice from a storyline standpoint, looked kind of weak I thought. It's still a great match but I'd have it as the 4th best on that show.

I always assumed the Superbrawl tag was highly regarded.

It was actually my #3 match, I think. The Starrcade 92 tag and the 5/22 6-man were #4 and #5 and I don't think there's three better tags in WCW history than that trio. Superbrawl is the best of the lot because it's Austin and Larry as a team, which shouldn't have worked but was awesome. You only have to compare it to the awful Steiners vs. Arn/Eaton match from the same show to see how it stands out from the pack.

Sacrilege!

What's the highest ranked tag on your list?

Highest rated tag on my list - excluding WarGames matches - is the 5/92 2/3 falls Dangerous Alliance tag.

Highest rated two-on-two tag is Midnights v. Southern Boys, which you hate for whatever reason.

Highest rated tag from 92 is Gordy/Williams v. Steiners Clash XIX. The Gordy/Williams v. Dustin/Barry title switch is also in my top twenty-five. There is also another Midnights tag in my top twenty.

I was meaning to ask you this when the WCW poll was still running (way back a whole 24 hours ago) and never got around to it, but what is it about the Midnights/Southern Boys tag that you dislike, OJ? I haven't seen it myself in a long, long time, but it seemed like a match that was pretty much universally praised for as long as I can remember.

I haven't voted but I think I could easily fill up my 100 favourite WCW matches just from 1989-1994 with nothing from the Nitro era. My favourite match is from Saturday Night TV in early '92 - Sting/Rhodes/Windham/Steamboat vs Rude/Eaton/Anderson/Zybszko which is everything great about that era.

I haven't voted but I think I could easily fill up my 100 favourite WCW matches just from 1989-1994 with nothing from the Nitro era. My favourite match is from Saturday Night TV in early '92 - Sting/Rhodes/Windham/Steamboat vs Rude/Eaton/Anderson/Zybszko which is everything great about that era.

I didn't do that because I thought there were some post 94 matches that deserved recognition, but if we are being honest, you could do a reputable to hundred on 89, 90, 92 and 94 alone.

More crazy picks! I mean seriously, WTF?

#50. Ric Flair & Arn Anderson Vs. Brian Pillman & Steve Austin

Clash of the Champions XXIII (2/3 Falls - 6/16/93)

The Hollywood Blondes have been talking shit about the has-been Horsemen. So much that Flair finally came out of retirement to show these young punks how it's done old school. The match was good not great. But the crowd heat was INSANE. Flair's back! Whooo!

#49. Ric Flair Vs. Ricky Steamboat

Spring Stampede (4/17/94)

Five years after their tremendous trilogy, it's Steamboat and Flair for the World title. Maybe not as good as their past encounters but it still has a main event feel and both guys gave it all for 30 min.

#48. Ric Flair Vs. Brian Pillman

Saturday Night (2/17/90)

This match came out of nowhere. I thought "Pillman was good, I guess" but nowhere in Flair league. Then suddenly Pillman's bouncing Flair around and is looking like he might take the title. Would HHH sell like this for Evan Bourne? Another super hot crowd hoping for the upset.

#47. Tully Blanchard Vs. Terry Funk

Slamboree (5/22/94)

There's absolutely no reason this mid card match should be here, except it has two of my all time favorites brawling throughout the ECW crowd. This was a "Legends" match for Slamboree but these guys acted like youngsters beating the crap out of each other with everything they could find in a short but memorable match.

#46. Ricky Steamboat Vs. Lex Luger

Great American Bash (7/23/89)

After getting beat up by Terry Funk, Luger comes to rescue Steamboat. But instead wacks him with a chair and beats the crap out of him. Luger was jealous of Steamboat rise in the Top 10 and as the U.S. champ felt he should be #1. It's set to be a No-DQ match for the U.S. title but Luger is suddenly refusing to wrestle.... Luger best non-Flair match ever?

I was meaning to ask you this when the WCW poll was still running (way back a whole 24 hours ago) and never got around to it, but what is it about the Midnights/Southern Boys tag that you dislike, OJ? I haven't seen it myself in a long, long time, but it seemed like a match that was pretty much universally praised for as long as I can remember.

I don't know the answer to this question. I'd have to watch it again. I do know that I like the Midnight Express more than I ever did before after doing this project, and in particular I like Bobby Eaton more than I ever did before, so I might be going on an outdated memory. I never cared much for Smothers or Armstrong as workers and hated the Southern Boys gimmick, but I watched one of their TV matches before the end of the balloting and really enjoyed it, so maybe the GAB match is OK. From memory, it wasn't laid out as well as Midnights vs. Rock "n" Roll Express or some of the other tags they had that year.

#45. Eddy Guerrero Vs. Dean Malenko

Uncensored (3/16/97)

Eddy Guerrero defends the U.S. title against former foe Malenko. Eddy's a good guy but shows some hints at his future heel turn. It's Uncensored too so anything goes! Great match that was only messed-up by the 20 minutes of panning to the back showing Rick Steiner unconscious on the floor.

#44. Ric Flair & Steve Austin Vs. Ricky Steamboat & Sting

Saturday Night (7/30/94)

Probably overrating this one but it was so much fun back then. The two top babyfaces meet the top heels on free TV. Match went nearly 30 minutes. Maybe the last great match before the Hogan regime took over and Stone Cold left.

#43. Doom Vs. Arn Anderson & Barry Windham

Starrcade (Streetfight - 12/16/90)

Storyline started like an average day in the WWE lockerroom. If my memory is right the Horsemen dissed Doom and refused to share a lockerroom with them. Doom's still the champs here, but the title's not on the line, only respect! This started a big feud that culminated in this No-DQ anything goes Streetfight. This was supposed to have Ric Flair but he had other plans that night...

#42. Ric Flair & Sting Vs. The Great Muta & Dick Slater

Clash of the Champions VIII (9/12/89)

This was to be the huge main event from the Bash fallout. It was scheduled to be Terry Funk but he suffered an arm injury and Dick Slater took his place. What was a huge disappointment turned into a great tag match with the newly arriving Slater doing his great Funk/Race bumping and Muta being his undefeated badass self. Plus the thought of Sting and Flair teaming had the crowd all hyped. The finish of this match was so shocking that they later had to publicly apologize on the air.

#41. Goldberg Vs. Diamond Dallas Page

Halloween Havoc (10/25/98)

Goldberg reign didn't produce many great matches, especially since very few of them lasted over 5 minutes. This was the best though, a match well layed out and executed perfectly. Goldberg was defending the WCW World title against fellow good guy DDP. Even after the Warrior/Hogan II classic, the crowd heat was off the charts for this one and what followed was a short but great title defense. The undefeated Goldberg was still on fire, having a huge fan base and had months and months of future great matches ahead of him against the NWO, so of course he would lose the belt 2 months later to head booker Kevin Nash. I don't respect you booker man.