Pro Wrestling Only

My 8 Favorite Matches

floyd

What's crazy about your list is that you and I have huge differences of opinion on a lot of these matches and yet there are several others that you and I have in almost the exact same spot. I want to say the Clash VIII tag is the fifth or sixth such match, which is impressive when you consider the fact that probably half of the matches you rated didn't even make my ballot.

Also Eddy v. Dean was one of the last two matches I cut from my ballot. I was really torn about it, because I was there live and really like the match, but I hate the NWO cuts and I'm not a fan of the finish even if it was a good way to further the storyline with Waltman.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit surprised the Eddy Vs. Dean match is so high too, but I would've had it around somewhere. The NWO stuff and the announcers not caring about the match piss me off. Plus there's some slow stuff but there's alot of great great moments too.

As for the Slater/Muta Vs. Sting/Flair match, I love the match so much and have no problem with the placing. It's not a super great or important match but I'm was a huge fan of 1989 especially the Flair/Funk feud as a kid.

Mine only 1 ballot, there's 24 more of them out there, so the results should be very interesting...

I love Clash VIII. I was there live for that as well (at the ripe old age of seven!).

The thing I like about Eddy v. Dean is it's the very front end of the awesome Eddy heel turn and Malenko actually shows a shit ton of fire for maybe the only time in his WCW career. Another factor in my not rating it was that I thought it would rate well on other ballots and your ballot suggests I was right.

This voting really is going to be all over the place. Of the sixty matches you've posted so far 37 didn't make my ballot at all - but then like I said several of them are in virtually the same spot.

Posted Image Posted Image

#40. Chris Jericho Vs. Eddy Guerrero

Fall Brawl (9/14/97)

The Atatolla of Rock N' Rolla defends the Crusierweight title against Eddy Guerrero. Eddy's a heel now, will that give him an edge? Great match from great wrestlers.

#39. Chris Jericho Vs. Ultimo Dragon

Bash at the Beach (7/13/97)

Chris Jericho defends the title against former champ Ultimo Dragon. These guy met in Japan so they know each other well. If Jericho's the real deal he need to get past Ultimo who had a great run as champ.

#38. Dustin Rhodes Vs. Bunkhouse Buck

Spring Stampede (Bunkhouse Brawl - 4/17/94)

A crazy and bloody anything goes Streetfight. Incredibly this intense brawl was just the beginning of the feud. Watch out for the Colonel!

#37. Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton & Larry Zbyszko Vs. Ricky Steamboat, Dustin Rhodes & Nikita Koloff

Saturday Night (2/3 Falls - 5/23/92)

A fallout tag match from the Wargames. WCW had tremendous TV in 1992 and this was my favorite match out of it. Zbyszko's trying to make amends for past mistakes. All 6 guys gets lots of time in a 25+ minutes match with lots of action.

#36. Ric Flair Vs. Hulk Hogan

Bash at the Beach (7/17/94)

Flair defends the WCW World title against the invading Hulkster. This was the big PPV matchup that the WWF had promised but never delivered. Flair puts on a great performance as does Hogan to re-boot WCW into a new era.

Surprised the Dangerous Alliance tag is so low. That was in my top ten, and I considered it for number one. Hogan v. Flair is a really fun match. Eddy v. Jericho is another one that is in almost the exact same spot on our lists. Weird. Now up to 39 matches on your ballot that aren't on mine. I would imagine the closer to the top we get the more unanimous the picks will be, but I still wonder if I hit fifty.

I adore that Eddy/Jericho match from Fall Brawl. If I had time to get a list together, I think I would've ranked that highest out of anybody that voted (I probably would've had it top 15). Then again, you never can tell with these things.

I watched the Clash VIII tag yesterday and really, really liked it. Again, had I managed to watch enough stuff to justify making a list of my own, I would've had that top 50. The post-match angle is one of my favourites, and Dylan's totally right when he says Funk's delivery on big angles is practically unparalleled.

Interested to see where all the Flair/Steamboat matches from '89 place. I think the handheld matches might take a hit in the final list due to some voters not wanting to vote for non-televised matches (which I can understand), but I'm expecting the Clash and Chi-Town Rumble matches to do extremely well. Hopefully WrestleWar puts in a good showing too (I'm almost certain it will despite it seemingly falling out of favour the last few years); it's still my favourite of their series, although it's been a long time since I watched any of their matches, Chi-Town Rumble aside.

I think Chi-Town is going to finish higher than the others.

Chi-Town is a quick match by comparison, is the match I think that most people were mostly likely to rewatch and has the most satisfying finish of the bunch. I had all of them in my top 11, cept for the handhelds which I won't vote for under any circumstances for the reasons you mentioned.

The 6-man tag is awesome and could be too low on my list, but I'm sure it'll do great on it's own. I bet it might be the top match that people saw for the first time cause of this poll (Like me).

Was going to vote for the Handheld Landover and maybe Philly but decided not too. They're both tremendous matches (especially landover) but I have way too much Steamboat/Flair matches already...

The only match that I REALLY wanted to see but didn't was the handheld Liger/Pillman from 12/91.

Was there a great Steamboat/Luger handheld that took place before the Bash match? I seem to remember someone saying how awesome it was but it was years ago.

ALso didn't vote for the WCW/New japan matches even though they were eligible. They just feel more New Japan then WCW. The Steiners Vs. Hase/Sasaki is a huge favorite of mine as a kid and would've made my Top 10.

I'm not really participating in any WCW polls right now because while I'm watching a lot of wrestling lately, I'm totally avoiding the the second half of 1993 WCW through first half of 1994 WCW, because I've seen very little of it, as it was during a period where I wasn't really following wrestling and it's one of those things I've always saved for a time that I really need it (likewise reading The Big Sleep or playing Dragon Quest VI),you know, some great personal tragedy. If that makes any sense, BUT..

I did watch the Clash with the Wellington/Benoit vs Liger/Pillman match for the first time in a few years last month and found that match really disappointing. The spots/moves aren't even as interesting as the ones in the mess of a Silver Kings/Freebirds match later in the night and there's just no story at all to the match, or at least not one that I could pick up on. They just toss out moves and spots and it gets frustrating to watch after a while because it really never develops and given who was in there you really wish it would.

For what it's worth, that whole Clash was a little frustrating from an announcing standpoint as Jesse and Ross hadn't really figured out how to click yet. Jesse would set Ross up with a line and Ross would just pause for a moment and then continue to call the action.

#35. Ultimo Dragon Vs. Dean Malenko

Starrcade (12/29/96)

A match with all the marbles on the line. Ultimo Dragon defends the J-Crown while Malenko defends the WCW Cruserweight title. So whoever wins has 9 Championship belts! Once again Malenko tries to ground Dragon but Ultimo knows his way around the mat as well as the air.

#34. Sting Vs. Vader

Great American Bash (7/12/92)

Vader invades WCW and left a wake of bodies in his path. Sting defends the WCW World title against the juggernaut at the 92 Bash. Vader may seem unstoppable but this is motherfuckin' Sting were talking about! Should be a good match..

#33. Chris Benoit Vs. Chris Jericho

Fall Brawl (9/15/96)

Think this was Jericho's debut and they certainly delivered having a really great match that I think has been underrated. Both guys knew each other from Japan and went all out for this one.

#32. Chris Benoit Vs. Raven

Souled Out (1/24/98)

A throwaway match put together at the last moment turned into a great one. Benoit takes on the diabolical and ever moody Raven. The Flock is at ringside watching on like New Japan trainees. Don't forget since this is "Raven Rules" it's a No-Dq match.

#31. Vader Vs. Ric Flair

Starrcade (12/27/93)

The biggest show of the year was scheduled to be Sid Vicious Vs. Vader but things happened... So in a surprise the Nature Boy gets a chance to regain the WCW World title once again! Can he climb Space Mountain? Or is he too old? Was held in Flair's turf Charlotte to a red-hot rabid crowd.

#30.5. Bret Hart Vs. Chris Benoit

Nitro (10/4/99)

Well it was bound to happen :-(. Somehow I left this match off my ballot! This looks about the right place I would've put this match. This was the Owen Hart tribute match broadcast on Monday Night Nitro. A scientific exhibition much like Bret and Owen's famous matches. Benoit was a close friend of Owen as well as being Stampede taught, making him the perfect opponent. This no nonsense match was in stark contrast to most of Nitro's typical TV matches in 1999.

#30. Brian Pillman Vs. Johnny B. Badd

Fall Brawl (9/17/95)

The winner of this match will get a shot at Sting's U.S. title. Both are fan favorites but Pillman's turning a bit to the darkside to get that title shot. A hard fought back and forth match. I always thought Badd was underrated and better than most remember him, but it's definitely the Pillman's show here, who puits on an outstanding performance.

#29. Eddy Guerrero Vs. Shinjiro Otani

Starrcade (12/27/95)

Great match in the Best of 7 New Japan Vs. WCW contest at Starcade 95. Guerrero's trying hard to get a win for WCW. A fantastic match on it's own, what really makes this match special is Otani's performance acting like a heel and the American fans easily picking it up.

#28. Chris Benoit Vs. Kevin Sullivan

Great American Bash (Falls Count Anywhere - 6/16/96)

Crazy brawl that went everywhere. Both guys weren't even looking to win just beat the crap out of each other. Dusty Rhodes commentary is awesome. What's even crazier is it's possible that Benoit and Sullivan's wife were having their real life love affair (paralleling the storyline) at this time.

#27. Sting & Lex Luger Vs. The Steiners

Superbrawl (5/19/91)

The Four biggest fan favorites go head to head in a fan's dream match. The best way to think about this is like an arcade game with god mode on. Every maneuver seemed like a finishing move and they were throwing bombs at each other. Plus the Steiners got to reveal alot of new moves to the fans.

#26. Vader Vs. Cactus Jack

Halloween Havoc (Texas Deathmatch - 10/24/93)

After nearly paralyzing and ending Cactus Jack's career, he makes a big comeback and gets his chance for revenge here at Halloween Havoc. This is a Texas Deathmatch which means after your pinned, you have a 10 count to get back onto your feet or your lose. Cactus couldn't get up after Vader powerbombed him 7 months ago, can he get up this time? I bet I'm the highest vote for this one.

Watching Pillman vs Badd, I thought it was really cool was how Pillman was putting stuff from the 95 New Japan juniors tour into this match. I'm a big, big fan of this match though it hurt me as a Pillman fan to watch it because he couldn't physically go like he used to even if his heart wanted to. It still has one of my all time favourite endings.

More matches! Were gonna hit 50, Dylan Waco! B)

#25. The 1991 Wargames

Wrestlewar (2/24/91)

The teams are.......

WARGAMES ROLLCALL!:

The Four Horsemen (Ric Flair, Barry Windham, Sid Vicious & Larry Zbyszko)

Vs.

Stings Squadron (Sting, Brian Pillman and The Steiner Brothers)

The Wargames was brought back in 1991 as an excuse for the Four Horsemen to get their ass's kicked. Zbysko's taking injured Arn Anderson's place here. Pillman's looking for revenge for a busted up shoulder, he'll have more injuries before the nights through.

#24. Ricky Steamboat Vs. Rick Rude

Beach Blast (Iron Man match - 6/20/92)

The rules are whoever has the most number of falls in 30 minutes wins the match. A strategic match. Don't forget Steamboat still owes Rude a receipt for the broken nose. May not have aged well to newer eyes but at the time the concept was awesome.

#23. Ric Flair Vs. Ricky Steamboat

Saturday Night (5/15/94)

After the disputed Spring Stampede match, Steamboat gets another chance at the WCW World title. This time it's on Free TV in a match that goes almost the full last hour. Over the hill? Nope. These guys went ALL OUT for this one.

#22. Ric Flair Vs. Terry Funk

Great American Bash (7/23/89)

After nearly finishing Flair's career with a piledriver through a table, Flair finally gets his revenge against Funk at the Bash. Can Flair's fragile Fine-China-like neck take it? This isn't the end but only the beginning with a big brawl at the end setting up months of storylines. Even civilian Doug Dillinger gets involved.

#21. The Midnight Express Vs. The Rock & Roll Express

WrestleWar (2/25/90)

The last hurray for these teams in 1990, it's a clip show for the awesomeness of their feud. Lots of great wrestling, silly house-show stuff and Ricky Morton playing Ricky Morton. Watching this match again reminded how fun wrestling can be.

TOP 20!!!!!!!

#20. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas Vs. Barry Windham & Brian Pillman

Starrcade (12/28/92)

Windham split up with Goldust and got himself a new partner, former foe Brian Pillman. This is his chance to regain the tag belts he never should've lost. An awesome forgotten tag match at that years Starrcade. Windham & Pillman were an awesome team that sadly didn't last. And youngster Douglas plays Akiyama to Steamboat's Misawa.

#19. Vader Vs. Sting

Superbrawl (Strap Match - 2/21/93)

A brutal anything goes strap match that only ends when you touch all 4 corners of the ring, dragging your unconscious opponent along with you. Sting's always the underdog in both size and power, but now he has to get as brutal as Vader can get. Awesome finish to their main PPV trilogy.

#18. Ric Flair Vs. Lex Lugar

WrestleWar (2/25/90)

This was supposed to be Sting's title shot, but the dumbass went against the family so his fellow Horsemen turned him out and demolished his knee. So new #1 contender Lex Luger gets another shot. Can he finally win the big one?