Pro Wrestling Only

Things we can probably get confirmed now

Loss

I was just thinking of questions that we couldn't get definite answers to at the time for obvious reasons that maybe could be answered definitively now.

Who was Willie the Worker?

Dave talked at the time about some great ideas Bischoff had for revitalizing WCW, and when the company folded, he said he didn't want to share those ideas because he wanted someone to actually use them. What were the ideas?

Who specifically was on "suicide watch" in 2006? I'm guessing Angle, but was that ever confirmed?

Who was the wrestler Lex Luger refused to do a double juice cage match with unless the other guy got an AIDS test?

Dave talks about someone's involvement in Montreal that he was sworn to secrecy over, to a point where the person told him he could only talk about it after that person died. I'm assuming that person hasn't died, but now that all the hatchets seem to be buried, who was it and what did they do?

I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm missing.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was Willie the Worker?

Wasn’t Lance for sure, 90% sure it was RVD.

Dave talked at the time about some great ideas Bischoff had for revitalizing WCW, and when the company folded, he said he didn't want to share those ideas because he wanted someone to actually use them. What were the ideas?

Toryumon, the elevated corner posts thing?

Who specifically was on "suicide watch" in 2006? I'm guessing Angle, but was that ever confirmed?

Bryan confirmed it was Angle when I asked him on his forum was it Benoit after the murders went down.

Dave talks about someone's involvement in Montreal that he was sworn to secrecy over, to a point where the person told him he could only talk about it after that person died. I'm assuming that person hasn't died, but now that all the hatchets seem to be buried, who was it and what did they do?

People always place Pat Patterson as the front runner don’t they? Obviously never heard it confirmed

Quasi related to this thread but how open of secret was it that Wade Keller was gay within the business? I know that people did make fun of him being a non macho, vegan, heavily liberal dude and raised an eyebrow at his outrage over the culmination of the Billy and Chuck wedding but on the other hand the rumour of a relationship with Molly Holly ran rampant all over the internet for years. I watched the 2nd New Jack shoot from 1999 and he simply matter factly said Wade Keller is gay, did you know that? to Feinstein who said nothing.

As rovert said it was confirmed, but IIRC Wade reported it slightly more ambiguously as "death watch."

Who was the wrestler Lex Luger refused to do a double juice cage match with unless the other guy got an AIDS test?

What was the timeframe for this?

Only idea I've heard was that someone asked Terry Funk for an idea under the guise of it being a hypothetical question during a discussion about the business in general, since Funk, while sharp, is the type of guy who could be naive in that situation, plus he's someone that we know angrily called up Dave right after the screwjob (Dave has mentioned that both Funk and Doug Furnas called him up because they were more appalled that they did it with Bret's young son at ringside than anything else).

I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm missing.

It would take Hogan coming clean, which is highly unlikely, but what was the medical problem being treated legitimately by Zahorian that got him out of testifying?

It hasn't been long, but since it's been spoken about relatively openly, did Nigel McGuinness fail the WWE physical exam because of his arm injuries or because his brain damage was too severe? Both versions have made the rounds.

I guess the whole "flushing Eddy's steroids" thing that we speculated about here was answered by Irv Muchnick's book but the question is how he found out. It seems clear he wasn't talking to Chavo so I would guess that Meltzer told him (since there were clearly issues with Dave and Irv over Irv outing sources and private emails), and the question is if it was Benoit or Chavo who told him, which probably won't get answered unless it was Benoit since it would probably be a bad idea to out Chavo as admitting to doing that.

Were the Hebners and Roadkill really fired from WWE for some weird merchandise selling reasons? That always sounded odd.

What was Jose Gonzalez's specific reason for killing Brody?

Wasn't the motive behind Brody's murder just all his years of self-preservation coming back to roost? The version I always heard involved Jose getting increasingly frustrated over Brody never putting anyone over and getting blown off when trying to talk to him about it in the locker room was the last straw.

I also think as far as Nigel goes, arm injuries were just the reason put out by WWE, it would have to be some kind of brain injury since he was signed and ready to go until the news started to break about concussions and brain injuries causing Benoit-like incidents.

Also back to the Patterson/Montreal deal, he mentioned that he (among others) were in the hotel with Shawn the night before giving him a crash course on shoot submission holds in case he couldn't get out of the ring fast enough and Bret caught him. That's the reason Vince was screaming at Shawn to grab the belt and get the fuck out, he thought Bret would start shooting.

On Montreal, one would have thought it was Patterson, but he's been outted for his involvement for a long time. I mean... wasn't he out extremely early in working with Bret on the specific finish of the sharpshooter reversal?

Don't know who else it could be, other than perhaps Ross? Or someone who was sorta close to Bret?

On Keller, I don't think it was widely known in the business, if known at all in the business. New Jack calling him gay means nothing: I've seen and read people in the business call Dave, Bruce, Wade... pretty much every writer gay. It's a meaningless throwaway line, and folks in the business think all sheet folks are non-macho. New Jack doesn't strike me as someone who would be hip to it. If anyone in ECW "knew", folks would have seen stuff written about Wade online at the volume of what we saw on RF (long prior to the Catch A Predator spot) and that we've seen on Ryder. Lord knows there were enough people in the circle of ECW that hated Wade and would have pushed it to the point of it being like those other two.

I think the ins-and-outs of the WWF's and WCW's old drug testing policy and procedures is a great open question. I think most of us who followed it *know* how it worked, but it's never been nakedly exposed. On the WWF's, JJ is the one who knew where the bodies were buried. Then when he went back to WCW... he probably knows over there as well. He seemed not to be talking. Dave knows vastly more than he's ever written about it, and I doubt even he knows all the details of how they played the games, avoided testing obvious people, and at least within WCW create a system that let lots get away with it while cracked down on others. Would be interesting to know how high in the WCW and Turner organizations they knew what was going on with the policy. Obviously we know that at least one high ranking WCW management member knew how it was gamed given how often he was glassy eyes and slurring words on camera. ;)

John

J.J. signed a non-disclosure agreement about his role as administrator of the original WWF drug testing policy, so he's not talking anytime soon without being sued.

I'd love to know what was up with the WCW testing stories that Mero told during the Benoit fallout. He mentioned that not only were there plenty of times where wrestlers would taint their samples with Visine, somehow causing them to pass, but there were also lots of times where guys would test negative but nobody would know why.

Who was handling the WCW contracts at the various times where they forgot to pink slip wrestlers and their contracts rolled over (Iron Sheik in '89-'91, Kevin Wacholz in '93-'00 in spite of wrestling only one match for the company)?

Bryan confirmed it was Angle when I asked him on his forum was it Benoit after the murders went down.

Just to clarify, it wasn't suicide watch, they were afraid of him dying like Eddie. It was pretty obvious from the start that it was Angle because Keller said that his death would be a bigger story than Eddie's due to his real-life credentials or something along those lines.

Who was handling the WCW contracts at the various times where they forgot to pink slip wrestlers and their contracts rolled over (Iron Sheik in '89-'91, Kevin Wacholz in '93-'00 in spite of wrestling only one match for the company)?

Not sure about this, but Wacholz wasn't under contract all that time. He did the one match at Slamboree, then years later they re-signed him and never used him.

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought it was the great ideas that he, Dave, had for the Invasion that he told to Vince and was hoping he would still use. I sent an e-mail to the Observer Radio mailbag asking Dave if he could reveal his long-talked-about idea for the Invasion. I sure hope it isn't the same one Jim Cornette had. <_>

I'm trying to remember but wasn't Ole's girlfriend in charge of payroll at one time around 1993. I can't remember her name.

Regarding Brody, a consensus from what I've heard is that Brody's unwillingness to do business the right way over the entire year of 1988 with WWC prompted the attack as Jose was going to teach him and the boys a lesson but Jose's emotions made him go farther than what he wanted to do.

Kurt Angle going out of his way to rebut a blind item is really an amazingly underrated bit of crazyness.

Not that Angle wasn't (isn't?) crazy, but that was the most obvious blind item ever.

Well, yeah, but it was still a blind item.

On Keller, I don't think it was widely known in the business, if known at all in the business. New Jack calling him gay means nothing: I've seen and read people in the business call Dave, Bruce, Wade... pretty much every writer gay. It's a meaningless throwaway line, and folks in the business think all sheet folks are non-macho. New Jack doesn't strike me as someone who would be hip to it. If anyone in ECW "knew", folks would have seen stuff written about Wade online at the volume of what we saw on RF (long prior to the Catch A Predator spot) and that we've seen on Ryder. Lord knows there were enough people in the circle of ECW that hated Wade and would have pushed it to the point of it being like those other two.

Again New Jack said it matter of factly with no f-bombs and wasnt in a rage.

Why was Claudio employed by WWE for very short time?

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought it was the great ideas that he, Dave, had for the Invasion that he told to Vince and was hoping he would still use. I sent an e-mail to the Observer Radio mailbag asking Dave if he could reveal his long-talked-about idea for the Invasion. I sure hope it isn't the same one Jim Cornette had. <_>

I'm pretty sure Dave did an Observer sometime that fall with lots of ideas to turn the Invasion around.

He said on WOL at the time that he thought Bischoff's ideas for turning WCW around were really strong, and he didn't want to say what they were if that meant no one would use them.

I don't find the "matter of factly" very compelling. I've had people "matter of factly" say it about it. That New Jack turned out "right" with something tossed at Wade really isn't relevant.

Slow down and think about it: it's not likely that New Jack is someone that Wade would share it with. If New Jack, of all people, got it second/third/fourth hand it would have been all over the place given the circles New Jack ran in. Similar to RF (pre-TV outting) and Ryder's were over the years.

With Wade it just wasn't, other than the typical stuff that gets thrown at most sheet writers from people in the industy.

John

I don't find the "matter of factly" very compelling. I've had people "matter of factly" say it about it. That New Jack turned out "right" with something tossed at Wade really isn't relevant.

Slow down and think about it: it's not likely that New Jack is someone that Wade would share it with. If New Jack, of all people, got it second/third/fourth hand it would have been all over the place given the circles New Jack ran in. Similar to RF (pre-TV outting) and Ryder's were over the years.

With Wade it just wasn't, other than the typical stuff that gets thrown at most sheet writers from people in the industy.

John

Ok this is getting silly and not worth arguing about but New Jack said it almost completely out of character it was not in the middle of calling him a cracker or honky. His matter of factness lead me to ask whether it was an open secret to some in the Wrestling business.

Now I remember it was Sharon Sidello aka Fifi the maid who was Ole's girlfriend.

Sharon Sidello being Fifi was a false rumor.

I guess my sarcasm didn't shine through on that but the whole Sharon Sidello rise in the company was pretty interesting.

Ok this is getting silly and not worth arguing about but New Jack said it almost completely out of character it was not in the middle of calling him a cracker or honky. His matter of factness lead me to ask whether it was an open secret to some in the Wrestling business.

My thought would be to ask Bryan or Dave whether it was an open secret to some in the wrestling business. They know most of the secrets in the biz. If they say it was widely, or even sorta-semi-widely known going back X years, then I'll take their word for it.

Or ask Wade in PM or on his board. You're over there as well. It looks like it's an airball here, and we do have a few posters that know a fair amount of dirt here.

John

Now I remember it was Sharon Sidello aka Fifi the maid who was Ole's girlfriend.

Sharon Sidello being Fifi was a false rumor.

I guess my sarcasm didn't shine through on that but the whole Sharon Sidello rise in the company was pretty interesting.

Sharon Sidello was Ole's girlfriend, but wasn't Fifi. Fifi was Wendy Barlow. (Spelling may be off on the last name)