Pro Wrestling Only

Things we can probably get confirmed now

Loss

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Slickster

IIRC Vince and Kevin Dunn thought ECW needed some humor and they had heard Brad Armstrong was a funny guy, so they put him out there for one segment each week. Tazz naturally saw this as a shot across the bow regarding his job security so he tried to crap on Brad's lines at every turn, preventing Brad from getting over and ending the experiment.

Guest Talon

He was working as a veteran player coach, people saw how funny he was backstage, and it didn't translate to TV.

They brought in Armstrong, Rodney Mack and Eric Escobar to be like guys who would work house shows and dark matches to help with the young talent. However within a month Armstrong & Mack got shitcanned and Escobar hung around FCW for what seemed like 2 years.

Guest Slickster

WWE had also picked up Gangrel, Flash Funk, and Henry Godwinn to work with the young guys around that time. Gangrel was deemed too fat for ECW television while Godwinn worked in a tag team with Jesse on SmackDown house shows. Undertaker got Godwinn the job IIRC.

I have no idea why Flash Funk didn't get put back on TV. He worked SmackDown house shows and a European tour but never made television.

Didn't it come out that Gangrel was rehired by WWE because he was burnt in his entrance, like The Undertaker was at No Way Out, and made a fuss about it?

I thought it was Hunter who got Godwinn his job back. Wasn't he in pretty bad shape and let go quickly?

Flash Funk seemed like the sort of guy who was rehired without Vince knowing about it.

Didn't it come out that Gangrel was rehired by WWE because he was burnt in his entrance, like The Undertaker was at No Way Out, and made a fuss about it?

I thought it was Hunter who got Godwinn his job back. Wasn't he in pretty bad shape and let go quickly?

Flash Funk seemed like the sort of guy who was rehired without Vince knowing about it.

The Gangrel story doesn't seem to make much sense. Why would he get rehired because he was complaining about a burn that would have had to happen years before?

Speaking of Escobar, is there any reason they screwed with his push so bad? They bring him as Vicki's BF like they were going to push him as a heel, but then she dumps him a few weeks later for being a "loser." Then he goes on to pretend he dumped her and lose a bunch of punishment matches and get released. It was pretty much the WORST booking of a new guy I've ever seen, far worse than Spirit Squad or anything. Did he just piss off the wrong person backstage or what?

Well no one answered that question and I found it on my own, this is from an interview with Escobar:

"Then we started doing the vignettes, and Vince (McMahon) wanted me to be this ruthless, very intense, very intense Latino, and I said 'Cool, I have no problem with that.' But the people that were in charge of putting my matches together were telling me some other things, and I was like 'Who do I pay attention to?' Obviously I was going to pay attention to Vince, but at the same time, I have this guy in my ear telling me 'you have to do this,' so it was kinda' confusing at times. I think I did the best I could with what they were giving me to work with."

As a side question: do you guys think a situation like that is a purposeful sabotage by the agents or them just wanting Escobar to fit into their new favorite mold of methodical heel.

It was pretty much the WORST booking of a new guy I've ever seen

Worse than Colin Delaney? That one never made sense to me. "Hey, look at this stupid fucking kid who shouldn't even be in the ring. He's a loser, he has no chance whatsoever, and you know this because we keep telling you over and over. Now watch as we build the entire show around him for months on end!" And then the sudden heel turn and the even more sudden release. What the hell happened there? Did Vince just finally watch ECW for the first time in forever and go "who the fuck is that anorexic midget? Wrap up his angle and pink-slip the little bastard pronto."

Did we ever find out what the deal was with that time Boogeyman was fired and then rehired within a week? Someone asked about the weird Claudio deal earlier, that deserves a re-mention. Also similarly wondering about the Hebners and others being fired for bootlegging merchandise.

It was pretty much the WORST booking of a new guy I've ever seen

Worse than Colin Delaney? That one never made sense to me. "Hey, look at this stupid fucking kid who shouldn't even be in the ring. He's a loser, he has no chance whatsoever, and you know this because we keep telling you over and over. Now watch as we build the entire show around him for months on end!" And then the sudden heel turn and the even more sudden release. What the hell happened there? Did Vince just finally watch ECW for the first time in forever and go "who the fuck is that anorexic midget? Wrap up his angle and pink-slip the little bastard pronto."

Colin was bad, I agree. I watched that whole thing as I was REALLY into new ECW at that point. I agree they really really blew his push, because I think if he and Tommy Dreamer would have beat Miz/Morrison for the belts then they could have got him over as the underdog who really has no business winning but somehow pulls off upsets. Instead they had him keep losing until the point when he finally got a win it didn't matter. And then the heel turn was REALLY stupid because you just spent months building him as weak and unthreatening and then expect him to go get heat? But Escobar was worse because their original idea for him had a LOT of potential. Young heel comes in as Vickie Guerrero's boyfriend could have gotten him, or someone else over. But instead they were broken up about a month into the thing, then Vickie gives him punishment matches for another month and he gets released.

Didn't the thing with Claudio have something to do with visa issues? Of course, I would presume those have since been cleared up, which raises the question of why the WWE never tried again with him.

Claudio has maintained since the day he was released that he has a green card and that there would be no paperwork issues.

It also doesn't fit with the pre-hiring testing, which was just starting around that time. He never would've been hired in the first place if it was for failing that kind of test, and I doubt that he would've been immediately re-tested. It seems like they haven't shown any interest in him since then, so what the hell happened?

• 2 months later...

Bumping this based on the latest Legends of Wrestling episode now on demand dealing with the 1970s. Two things came to mind that seemed appropriate for this discussion:

1. They discussed at length Bruno's current hatred of the business, a lot of theories were offered but the consensus was "we don't know why he hates us now". Wasn't the real reason that Bruno was pissed he came out of retirement in exchange for David to get a push, only to see David get fired? The reason Bruno gives about not liking all the drug use in the 80s WWF doesn't seem to pass the laugh test considering he's a guy who shared a locker room with the likes of Superstar Billy Graham.

2. We can probably confirm now that Greg Gagne was being a douchebag when he implied Nick Bockwinkel had Alzheimer's disease a few years back. I don't remember the context but Greggy mentioned that Nick was starting to get confused "like my Dad is", but Nick's been on a few of these Legends shows and seems to continue to be the Dick Clark of wrestling.

Guest Cobra Commander

considering that Greg Gagne was claiming that Verne came up with the UFC idea in 1991 and that it was stolen by Dana White, I can see him as being a bit delusional