Best and Worst Strikes

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Tenese Sarwieh

Tenese Sarwieh
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

I always loved Bobby Eaton’s punches. So soft but looked stiff.

El Hijo del Santo stomps were just vicious and really made me believe that he hated whoever he was facing and actually wanted to killed them.

#42 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

I love Sami Callihan's kicks. He puts the right body language behind them so they look vicious.

EYFBO (LAX v3) have some great fire when they throw strikes, particularly Ortiz.

#43 cad

cad
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

Emilio Charles' right hand. Negro Casas' right hand and dropkick. Is a kneedrop a strike? I thought Lizmark had a great kneedrop.

#44 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:In my chair, watching Lou Reed press interviews from the 70's

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

I love Sami Callihan's kicks. He puts the right body language behind them so they look vicious.

Yeah, just watched him in PWG BOLA '12 and his face kicks are absolutely brutal. Really all of his strikes are on point because of how he puts his whole body into them...genuinely looks like he's trying for a KO.

On another point, I always thought Jumbo's stomps were pretty great. And am a big fan of Nigel's throat thrust & SUWAMA's double hand chop. Those are something you don't see everyday.

#45 Rah

Rah
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:43 AM

I love Sami's strikes. He has such a snap and awareness of his body that he masks them not connecting very well. Loved this from last year

https://imgur.com/fNwk0wR

#46 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:47 AM

I think El Samurai had really great stomps

#47 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Stomps: Jumbo

Kicks: Hashimoto

Chops: Tenryu and Kobashi

Punches: Lawler

#48 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

Where would MMA era Taker rank on anyones list?

As annoying as JBL/Coles pushing the phrase was, I wonder if there was a kernel of truth in that kayfabe?

Too be fair, it made some sense that someone who had a program with Undertaker recently would make such statements on commentary.

#49 Edwin

Edwin
  • Members
  • 1111 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Anyone with obvious thigh slapping immediately is my nomination for worst striking.

Michael Elgin - would take my vote. Talk about obvious thigh slapping.

#50 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1104 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

idk Tajiri is an obvious slapper but has some of the best kicks

#51 SmartMark15

SmartMark15
  • Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

AJ Styles isn't the best striker in the world. But I do think his strikes are quite underrated. He really makes them look and sound good without being over the top.

#52 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1104 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

Reading through this thread I realized my own worked punching style came from Bret Hart. Interesting. 

#53 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1670 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:15 PM

I talked to Doug Gilbert once. I asked him about throwing punches. His dad told him go try to punch the wall without really hitting it. When you can do that and make it look good, you can throw a good working punch. 

#54 SmartMark15

SmartMark15
  • Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

I talked to Doug Gilbert once. I asked him about throwing punches. His dad told him go try to punch the wall without really hitting it. When you can do that and make it look good, you can throw a good working punch.

Might have been in a separate thread where I read about Flair doing a similar practice technique with a string hanging from the ceiling. He had to punch it without making the string move.

#55 Edwin

Edwin
  • Members
  • 1111 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:29 PM

idk Tajiri is an obvious slapper but has some of the best kicks

Tajiri benefited from great camera work that didnt make it as obvious.

Michael Elgin on the other hand makes it blatant. Even for chops.

Might have been in a separate thread where I read about Flair doing a similar practice technique with a string hanging from the ceiling. He had to punch it without making the string move.
That Flair story is on the 30 For 30 documentary.

#56 Edwin

Edwin
  • Members
  • 1111 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:31 PM

I always loved Bobby Eatons punches. So soft but looked stiff.

Jim Cornette praised him a lot for this. He also said he learned to throw his punches from Bobby. If you watch the matches between the Midnight Express and the Original Midnight Express, Cornette throws a few right hands and they are very similar to Bobbys.

#57 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:33 AM

I don't know about anyone else but, I want to try this just for the hell of it :D Go down in the basement, tie a string to the rafters, fake punch it for hours. Loved one comes home, and all of a sudden I'm in the psych ward for a week! Hahaha

#58 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Could be wrong, but I thought I saw in one of Foley's books that Funk's punches were like actual strikes.

#59 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

^Dead on. The story goes that Foley, who always wondered how Terry worked his punches, was surprised when Terry kept potatoing him in the forehead. When they talked after Funk just laughed and said something to the effect of "you thought I was working them?"

#60 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

^Dead on. The story goes that Foley, who always wondered how Terry worked his punches, was surprised when Terry kept potatoing him in the forehead. When they talked after Funk just laughed and said something to the effect of "you thought I was working them?"

It's basically how the 3 Stooges worked too. That's serious. They got all kinds of injuries from the hits and falls they all took. They were a vaudeville act first and like the wrestling of the day, it had to look real because good, scarce money was being spent for entertainment.

Watch the Nagurski vs Londos match for instance :)
http://prowrestlingo...agurski-111838/

Similarly, this is how the Funks were taught and I think a lot of the Texas guys or I should say football guys were taught too. Getting popped in the mouth or getting your bell rung is to be expected and not a big deal.

Neither Funk kills a guy but, once in awhile they'll lay a shot in when it matters most. They make it look like "that one" they were trying really kill their opponent. Kawada and Misawa are another good example of this. Sometimes, they'll be working light all match and Boom! It looks like a KO. Sets up a nice natural transition too.

I think that's where most guys go wrong. They go stiff all the time so, it never really means anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users